Sunday, 23 August 2009

Bigger than the Beatles - part 1






Next in line for a regular theme are bands that should have been bigger than the beatles. I'm starting with Trashcan Sinatras. The ultimate jangly guitar band whose history is one of bad luck , tough breaks and fantastic songs with the kind of clever word play that gets you reaching for the lyric sheet. i first heasr then with the single "Obscurity Knocks" and when i heard "calendars crumble I'm knee deep in numbers" I was hooked. Their debut cd "Cake" was chock full of quotable lines. in great pop songs I wont go into a history here but if you like the track really suggets you go to http://www.fivehungryjoes.com/ which will give you all you need to know

The track I've chosen is from their latest lp "weightlifting". It has a "pretty" 60s feel to the tune and yet lyrically covers the aftermath of a child murder (at least I think thats what it is about). The combination of the lurics , harmonies and tune has real impact above and beyond any "take me to the moors" type thing. "Trouble Sleeping" by Trashcan Sinatras

They are about to release a new cd called "into the music" - HMV has it for 8.99 and a sept release

5 comments:

  1. Great blog, and great idea for a blog post series. Bands that should have been bigger than the Beatles? This could run forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aye! Them Trashcans are awfy guid!

    Keep on blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments
    Rol - i guess this is an excuse for me to post anything I like! The idea I'm afraid was nicked off an old slot that some radio dj did (for some reason Mark Goodyear springs to mind)

    Phil - they came round at just the right time for me on Obsurity knocks firfill the def of a great single in todays post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog!
    and thanks for the wee link to fivehungryjoes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Colin thanks for the ocmment - fivehungryjoes is just simply fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and let me know what you are listening to.