Saturday, 10 October 2009

say something - part 1


I was having a chat with a friend of mine the other day about the importance of lyrics. For me they are pretty key and it always used to really annoy me if there wasnt a lyric sheet with any lp I bought. This is probably why i havent been able to get my head around that much dance music apart from the obvious stuff. My friend on the other hand said that he didn't really listen to the lyrics and they just weren't that important to him. I think it is fascinating that you can approach the same piece of music from such completely different directions.

I can remember clearly the song that got me interested in lyrics, which was "I don't Like Mondays" by the Boomtown Rats. I guess it is pretty common knowledge that the song was about a pre columbine (1979) high school shooting in San Diego and the reason the girl ,Brenda Spencer,gave for shooting a couple of her teachers and wounding 9 children

"I just don't like Mondays. I did this because it's a way to cheer up the day. Nobody likes Mondays."


I was 11/12 when the single came out and I liked it as I liked ELO at the time for a bit of a sing along. I was invited to go on a family holiday with one of my school friends that summer. This was a big thing as a) It was my first holiday without my parents and b) being in the south of france it was my first holiday abroad.

In this time of cheap air travel it is amazing to think that we drove down, and all the way sang along to out of the blue, grease and a taped chart show including I Don't like mondays. It was Sean's Dad who explained what the song was about (in hindsight this may have been a ploy to try and stop us singing along to it) and it was as if a whole new world had opened up - Mr Blue Sky felt kind of silly after this. This then started the need in me that has remained ever since to have to know what a song is about.

The silicon chip inside her head
Gets switched to overload
And nobody’s gonna go to school today
She’s gonna make them stay at home
And daddy doesn’t understand it
He always said she was good as gold
And he can see no reasons
'Cos there are no reasons
What reason do you need to be show-ow-ow-ow-own?

Tell me why
I don’t like Mondays
Tell me why
I don’t like Mondays
Tell me why
I don’t like Mondays
I wanna shoo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oot the whole day down

The Telex machine is kept so clean
And it types to a waiting world
And mother feels so shocked
Father’s world is rocked
And their thoughts turn to their own little girl
Sweet 16 ain’t that peachy keen
Now that ain’t so neat to admit defeat
They can see no reasons
'Cos there are no reasons
What reasons do you need?
Oh Oh Oh Oh

Tell me why
I don’t like Mondays
Tell me why
I don’t like Mondays
Tell me why
I don’t like Mondays
I wanna shoo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oot
The whole day down, down, down, shoot it all down

And all the playing's stopped in the playground now
She wants to play with the toys a while
And school's out early and soon we'll be learning
And the lesson today is how to die
And then the bullhorn crackles
And the captain tackles
(With the problems of the how's and why's)
And he can see no reasons
'Cos there are no reasons
What reason do you need to die, die?
Oh Oh Oh

Tell me why
I don’t like Mondays
Tell me why
I don’t like Mondays
Tell me why
I don’t like
I don’t like (Tell me why)
I don’t like Mondays
Tell me why
I don’t like
I don’t like (Tell me why)
I don’t like Mondays
Tell me why
I don't like Mondays
I wanna shoo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oot the whole day down


2 comments:

  1. strangely enough, I mentioned this very song over at my place today

    ReplyDelete
  2. seems some weird boomtown rats synchronicity is on the loose

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and let me know what you are listening to.