Wednesday, 6 January 2010

My indie past - The Railway Children



The Railway Children were a Manchester 4 piece band originally signed to Factory records. This is their debut single and a typically great Factory cover. Released in 1986 it topped the indie chart (does such a thing still exist?) it had a smiths/lloyd cole feel. As a bonus the b side "Content" is also great. Both tracks can be found on an extended version of their debut lp "Reunion Wilderness". They were snapped up by Virgin records and it never quite happened for them although "Every Beat of Your Heart" got to 24 in the charts. Like lots of bands they were a victim of the EMI takeover of Virgin records. Gary Newby the main songwriter now lives in Japan and writes mainly for Japanese artists and films. Listening to the 2 tracks i think they've dated better than a lot of similar stuff from the time




You can find their website here



I know a little church
standing lonely on a hillside
it's cross was bent and broken
scratched and pitted by the cruel tide
one learned man with one book
surveys the blue sky
could the sea should banish god from his town
i can hear a sound
a gentle sound
it's all around me
it takes me up and down
all around me
i know a little girl standing lonely by the quayside
her hair was long and brown
it came right down all around all love fights hate
in her looks
and in her sighs
still this girl could banish all
but her heart.
i can hear a sound
a gentle sound
it's all around me
it takes me up and down
all around me









You can buy "Reunion Wilderness" here

2 comments:

  1. somewhere , i think in my garage , i have a factory cassette of the Railway Children's debut its got a outsized case . I downloaded Some acoustic versions that gary did of the railway children songs . great stuff . I really enjoyed the songs they did for virgin to , great band .

    i'm listening to shirley browns intimate storm .

    ReplyDelete
  2. cheers Jay I've got the acoustic cd he released recently it really is good, i thought it might be a prelude to osme new stuff but as yet nothing has appeared.

    I'll try and track down the recommendation and give it a listen

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and let me know what you are listening to.