Thursday, 11 February 2010

Life of Live - Echo and the Bunnymen



Every now and then a band would for some reason bypass Leeds and play Bradford instead. Echo and the Bunnymen were one of my favourite bands when I was in the 6th form , long coats from Oxfam were as much part of the school uniform as was the school tie. One of my friends an even bigger fan had shared a house with someone who knew Ian McCulloch and had once taken a phone message from him which in our eyes as good as made him the 5th bunnymen. So when they toured to promote their 5th album it was worth the short train ride from Leeds to Bradford. I do remember one of those embarrassing moments when we got in a cab asked for St Georges Hall and then looked mortified when the taxi pulled out of the station, crossed the road and then stopped to let us out outside the hall ".....fucking students"

The concert itself was a wall of noise with the new songs stripped of their studio sheen and thrashed out. They didn't disappoint on the dry ice front and all the band stood as if their feet were routed to the spot. Mac's hair was magnificent and noone was safe from his inter song "banter" They basically did a greatest hits set list with songs form the latest lp dropped in here and there. There was a sense of hero worship in crowd that Ididn't witness again until I saw Morrissey 10 years later

I think this lp is really under-rated. I remember the reviews were awful on release, there was a feeling the band had sold out especially in getting it produced by Laurie Latham who at that time was best known for producing Paul Young. I do think after the high of Ocean Rain whatever they came up with they were going to get a bit of a pasting.

It is over produced in places but has some great songs and in the lead off single "The Game" has one of the best lyrics that Mac has written. I've posted 3 songs, the 2 singles "The Game" and "Lips Like Sugar" which is just a great pop song and "All My Life " Mac's go at a John Lennon ballad
The one disappointing thing was a few of the songs had already appeared in different versions as b sides etc and so it felt a bit like they were running out of ideas

The Game - Echo and the Bunnymen

Lips Like Sugar - Echo and the Bunnymen

All my Life - Echo and the Bunnymen




A sense of duty
was my one intention
and an ugly beauty
was my own invention
Pride a proud refusal
and I refuse
to need your approval
Too many seekers
Too few beacons
But through the fog
we'll keep on beaming

Through the crying hours
of your glitter years
all the living out
of your tinsel tears
and the midnight trains
I never made
'cos I'd already
played...the game

Everybody's
got their own good reason
why their favorite season
is their favorite season
Winter winners
and those summers sons
aren't good for everyone
aren't good for everyone
Spring has sprung
and autumns well done
so well done

And it's a better thing
that we do now
forgetting everything
the whys and hows
While you reminisce
about the things you miss
you won't be ready
to kiss...goodbye

The earth is a world
The world is a ball
A ball in a game
with no rules at all
And just as I wonder
at the beauty of it all
you go and drop it
and it breaks and falls

I'll never understand
why you thought I would
need to be reassured
and be understood
When I always knew
that your bad's my good
and I was ready
ready...to be loved

Born under Mars
With Jupiter rising
Fallen from stars
That lit my horizon

I'll never understand
why you thought I would
need to be reassured
and be understood
When I always knew
that your bad's my good
and I was ready
ready...to be

Through the crying hours
of your glitter years
all the living out
of your tinsel tears
and the midnight trains
I never made
'cos I'd already
played

it's a better thing
that we do now
forgetting everything
the whys and hows
While you reminisce
about the things you miss
you won't be ready
to kiss...goodbye


2 comments:

  1. thoroughly underrated, and yes, a bit of a letdown to this rabid bunnyfan, but I love this album and yeah it was a great tour! WOuld love to hear the all Gil Norton produced version!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is a bit over slick but i still love it

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and let me know what you are listening to.