Tuesday, 2 March 2010

Say Something concept - Kate Bush


Kate Bush had kind of passed me by up to the mid 80s. I knew some of the singles and had a memory of my dad insisting on doing his own version of Wuthering Heights every time it came on the radio ( a joke that wore off after the first attempt). However, all that changed with seeing her on Wogan performing "Running Up That Hill" . Thinking back it is amazing the number of great songs I heard for the first time on Wogan . (he used to have a chat show that like Eastenders seemed to be on every night) The song was amazing and she looked gorgeous despite dressed in a strange grey cross between a dress and trousers and doing some very strange dancing.

I therefore bought the lp and it is still one of favourites. The reason is more to do with side 2 (in old lp language ) rather than side 1 with all the singles on.

Subtitled the 9th Wave, the set of 7 songs all built around a drowning girl lost at sea. It is a proper mini concept with sound effects and voices that float in and out of the girl's mind as she slips in and out of consciousness.
One particularly effective piece has a number of different voices from her present and past try to wake her up.

I've posted 2 songs. The first is one of the most beautiful things she has done. "And Dreams of Sheep" sees the girl longing for the release that sleep will bring her

Little light shining,
Little light will guide them to me.
My face is all lit up,
My face is all lit up.
If they find me racing white horses,
They'll not take me for a buoy.

Let me be weak,
Let me sleep
And dream of sheep.

"Attention shipping information in sea areas...Bell Rock, Tiree,
Cromaty, gale east...Malin, Sellafield..."

"Come here with me now."

Oh, I'll wake up
To any sound of engines,
Ev'ry gull a seeking craft.
I can't keep my eyes open--
Wish I had my radio.

I tune in to some friendly voices
Talking 'bout stupid things.
I can't be left to my imagination.

Let me be weak,
Let me sleep
And dream of sheep.

Ooh, their breath is warm
And they smell like sleep,
And they say they take me home.
Like poppies heavy with seed
They take me deeper and deeper


The second song sees the girl's future telling her that she can't die or her future self will cease to exist all sang around a whirling Irish jig.


Hello, old lady.
I know your face well.
I know it well.

She says,
"Ooh-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na!
I'll be sitting in your mirror.
Now is the place where the crossroads meet.
Will you look into the future?

"Never, never say goodbye
To my part of your life.
No, no, no, no, no!
Oh, oh, oh,

"Let me live!"
She said.
"C'mon and let me live, girl!"
She said,
"C'mon and let me live, girl!"
("C'mon and let me live!")

"This moment in time,"
(She said.)
It doesn't belong to you,"
(She said,)
It belongs to me,

"And to your little boy and to your little girl,
And the one hand clapping:
Where on your palm is my little line,
When you're written in mine
As an old memory?
Ooh, na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-

"Never, never say goodbye
To my part of your life.
Oh no, no, no, no, no!
Never, never, never!
Never, never let me go!"

She said,
"C'mon and let me live, girl!'
("C'mon and let me live!")
She said,
"C'mon and let me live, girl!"
("C'mon and let me live!")

I put this
moment..............................................here.
I put this moment.........................here.
I put this moment--

"Over here!
"Over here!
Can't you see where memories are kept bright?
Tripping on the water like a laughing girl.
Time in her eyes is spawning past life,
One with the ocean and the woman unfurled,
Holding all the love that waits for you here.
Catch us now for I am your future.
A kiss on the wind and we'll make the land.
Come over here to where When lingers,
Waiting in this empty world,
Waiting for Then, when the lifespray cools.
For Now does ride in on the curl of the wave,
And you will dance with me in the sunlit pools.
We are of the going water and the gone.
We are of water in the holy land of water
And all that's to come runs in
With the thrust on the strand."




The side ends with "The Morning Fog" which is up lifting but still leaves it ambiguous as to whether the woman is saved or not.



From hearing the Ninth Wave I then went on to buy all of Kate Bush's lps and as with the Blue Nile live in hope that the time between them will start to get shorter. If I ever found myself in an extremely unlikely "Juliet Naked" situation and I ever met her, it is these set of songs that I'd have to stop myself appearing an overly obsessive fan and start asking for a line by line explanation



For info on all things Kate Bush go here - this is one of the best fan sites around , if a little scary in the detail present (and that it has a photo that seems to giver her comedy giant hands)



And Dream of Sleep - Kate Bush



Jig of Life - Kate Bush



My guess is that most people who read this will have heard the Hounds of Love , but if not give it a go just to lose yourself in side 2

2 comments:

  1. I can remember that Wogan performance all too well!!!

    One of the other great ones from the Wogan series was Grace Jones doing Slave To The Rhythm

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skblUJYXJV0

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes - that was th eone where she was in a kind of mummy costume - the othre one i remember is a very bemused Lloyd Cole trying to mime to My Bag after Wogan introduced the commotions as one of his favourite bands ever!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and let me know what you are listening to.