Wednesday, 21 April 2010

Life of Live - The Men they Couldn't Hang



The Men They Couldn't Hang were actually the support band but to me were the best thing about the concert by a mile. The main act were the Pogues and it was one of the nights where Shane MacGowan was either so drunk or so full of flu that he could barely sing, as he could also barely stand it gave a good clue as to which of the two it was.



Now I know to some extent this is part of what made the Pogues so exciting live, but I couldn't escape the feeling that it was all a bit of a mess.



The Men They Couldn't Hang (I do have a friend who used to call them Pogues light) were fantastic. I'd heard a couple of songs but the next day went out and bought all I could. The playing was inspired and the the singing was full of passion despite most of the audience being camped at the bar outside the hall. The songs seemed to alternate between heartfelt ballads and shout along stompers, but both had at their heart catchy pop songs. What was not to like.



I've posted one of the shout along stompers that also comes complete with a 4 min history lesson as well




I've seen them about 4/5 more times since this night and each time I come away convinced they are the best live band going







Ironmasters - The Men They Couldn't Hang

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and let me know what you are listening to.