Thursday, 10 June 2010

Life of Live - Icicle Works




This was the last time I got to see the Icicle Works play and they were as good as ever. They were touring to promote the Blind lp which as usual hadn't really troubled the higher reaches of the chart.

It is probably one of the most schizophrenic lps I own with tracks ranging from a gospel feel to a Led Zeppelin type thrash and a track that sounds like it was written for Prince. However it did contain 2 of their best tracks that they had been playing live for a while, "Little Girl Lost" and "Starry Blue Eyed Wonder" which I did read was about Mike Scott (although listening to the lyrics I think this was over imaginative journalism.





Reading Ian Mcnabb's fantastic autobiography (Mersybeast) I was surprised to learn that he couldn't really stand the bass player. Everytime I saw them play they came across as a tight gang , I didn't pick up Mcnabb's annoyance at every bass flourish or Bruce foxton type leap!





One new track that went down a storm live was "High Time" one of those catchy guitar songs that they did so well. I've posted a different version , slowed down and acoustic. It gives the whole thing a darker , bitter more reflective mood.






2 comments:

  1. McNabb and company are certainly under-represented in the canon of Liverpool Rock! Birds Fly (A Whisper To A Scream) was most certainly their undoing, but with Blind and it's predecessor, If You Want to Defeat Your Enemy, Sing His Song, McNabb proves his place among the Mersey Elite! I love Shit Creek from Blind and Starry Blue Eyed wonder MUST be heard live to be really experienced. But it's Evangeline, Sweet Thursday and When You Were Mine that I truly cherish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - if you get a chance do read his autobiography merseybeast it is a riot

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and let me know what you are listening to.