Monday, 5 July 2010

Monday Moments - Temptation




Back in the days when singles meant something, the only places you could buy them in Spalding were Boots , WH Smiths and strangely a family owned department store (a little like a mini Grace Brothers). The buying policy was a bit odd and most things seemed to end up in the bargain bin for 10p.



One of the things I bought there based purely on the cover (as in true style it was difficult to find any info on either the cover or the label) was "Temptation" by New Order. I'm ashamed to say that at the time i didn't have a clue who they were or what this sounded like (which wasn't resolved the first time I played it as for some reason it was meant to be played at 33rpm rather than 45)



It is still my favourite New Order single helped by the fact that it has a killer chorus.


However my monday moment comes at with "oh you've got green eyes, oh you've got grey eyes oh you've got blue eyes"



Pure Barney nonsense but it didn't stop me singing the refrain as if they were words of genius insight





4 comments:

  1. Best single ever released by anyone. No arguements please.......

    http://thevinylvillain.blogspot.com/2008/06/45-45s-at-45-number-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now there starts a discussion that would last at least one bottle of whisky

    ReplyDelete
  3. JC is on the right track! I put it among my top 20 cause I have been trying to narrow down to 100 for the past two years. New Order, prior to Low-Life, and this is not "diss" on Low-Life as I think it's their most complete album, is something very special and more influential than anyone will ever credit. Temptation is both simple and beautiful and saw New Order shake the last the weight that Joy Division left off their shoulders!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your right it when they started to sound uniquely new order

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and let me know what you are listening to.