Sunday, 31 October 2010

Lazy Sunday - The Blue Nile


Lazy sunday and top of the shuffle pile this week is a track from the debut lp of the Blue Nile. This lp indirectly got me writing this blog. Jc at Vinyl Villain did this series where he asked for guest posts for a month. For some reason I decided to give it a go and wrote about a school trip down from the fens to London to buy the lp after hearing Tinseltown in the Rain on the Annie Nightingale request show. I would share it with you but it has gone the way of a blown up hard drive and so I guess in JC's archives somewhere. Anyway he kindly put the piece on his blog and I caught the bug.
So the person I offended with the OMD post, it was all the Blue Nile's fault
What do I like about ti well living in the fens this was an other worldly sound of mystery and romance
On a related note a new book on the Blue Nile is out soon nad has jumped straight onto my xmas list - you can pre-order Nileism here. My guess is that it is one for the die hard fans only.
The synopsis does give the scary fact that next year is their 30th anniversary during which time they have made 4 lps with 33 songs on! ALthough what is exciting is the fact that the author has had access to unreleased recordings that got lost along the way

2 comments:

  1. Paul Buchanan does such a great version of ' Strangers In the Night '
    I would love them to record it , as I've only ever heard the live version .

    Thanks for the news about the book , I'll have to break open the piggy bank for the one .

    btw a band I like ' monarchy ' have done a great remix of the OMD track ' Sister Mary Says '

    http://rcrdlbl.com/2010/10/25/premiere_omd_sister_marie_says_monarchy_remix_

    ReplyDelete
  2. cheers for the link Jay today is day 1 of a week of blue nile hope you like it

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and let me know what you are listening to.