Saturday, 8 January 2011

RIP Mick Karn

It was with real sadness that I found out this week that Mick Karn had lost his battle with cancer. As part of Japan he made bass playing seem unbelievably cool.



I've posted a bit of selection , a one off single he did with Midge Ure, a track from Dalis Car (Mick and Peter Murphy, something from Japan and the Rain Tree Crow (Japan in all but name) as well as his gorgeous solo single



After A Fashion (12" mix) - Midge Ure and Mick Karn



The Judgement is the Mirror - Dalis Car



Cantonese Boy - Japan



Pocket Full of Change - Rain Tree Crow



Sensitive - Mick Karn



A talented artist as well as musician his web site can be found here

6 comments:

  1. I didn't know he'd passed away.I remember him trying to get money together for treatment in Cyprus last year.A great bass player,Very sad .
    Phil
    Tel Aviv

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was sad to read about Mick too . I've always been a huge Japan fan and saw them live more than a few times . I loved during the live shows when Mick would do a really clever sort of ' scoot ' across ' the stage and do a quick pose and the scoot across to the other side of the stage .

    Love his work on Gary Numan's album dance as well .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Phil and Jay
    thanks for the comments - Japan are one of those bands I always wished I'd seen live

    I like the fact that as much as David Sylvian Mick Karn ploughed his own path doing his own thing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Jay ,you took the words out of my mouth.I saw Japan in 81 and the only thing that I remember from the gig is Mick Karns'scoot'!
    Phil
    Tel Aviv

    ReplyDelete
  5. A musician's muscian, Mick's solo career has been just as important to me as David Sylvian's. When they came together a few times in the 80's and finally again with Rain Tree Crow, he brought so much to the musical table. Bass, wind instruments, percussion - experimental pop, ethnic music, VERY progressive jazz and funk, Mick did it all so so well. YouTube is thankfully full of his work and even some things I found surprising.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Echo

    there is some stuff to explore on his website as well although the "j" word tends to have me running for the hills

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and let me know what you are listening to.