Friday, 21 January 2011

The Spoken Word part 4 - the abstract



One band that made spoken word the rule rather than the exception was Bristol's the Blue Aeroplanes. Featuring a large ever changing line up that featured an on stage dancer way before Bez was twisting any melons. They produced complex melodies that backed what can best be described as the even more complex beat poetry of lead "singer" Gerard Langley.


I've know idea what most of the songs are about but there is something hypnotic about Langley's voice and it is individual phrases and an overall mood that tends to stick in the mind long after the final guitar chord has faded.


It wasn't until the 5th lp Swagger that I got into them and the song I've posted is a short quieter track from that lp




I bought this and 2 other lps (Beatsongs and Life Model) but then kind of drifted away after that although listening to these lps again it has made me want to give some of the other 12 or so compilations and lps a go.


Best place to start is the compilation lp Huh which you can buy here

4 comments:

  1. Great post. You can read more about The Blue Aeroplanes here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment and the great link, it has given me a pointer as to what to get next

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Blue Aeroplanes! I also began with Swagger and moved forward and backwards from there. Aside from Swagger, FrriendLoverPlane is a real standout in their catalogue. Gerard Langley is a rock poet up there with Mike Scott and (this one might get a reacttion) Ian McNabb. One of Blue Aeroplane's best qualities, is that I always feel satisfied after listening to them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers Echo I'll see if i can get a copy of friendloverplane as the next one I buy

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and let me know what you are listening to.