Monday, 28 March 2011

Monday Moments - part 50/52 Cemetry Gates



Monday Moments is finally coming to an end and I can't finish it without at least one track form the Smiths. It could have been the guitar break in This Charming Man , the piano in Asleep, the chorus of How Soon is Now or any number of clever couplets.


However I've gone for Cemetry Gates which I originally heard as a b side. Johnny Marr has played some sparkly acoustic guitar tunes in his time and this along with Billy Bragg's Greetings to the New Brunette is one of his best.Morrissey's lyrics almost tumble over each other in an attempt to keep up.


His attack on his friend's plagiarism is intentionally a little ironic as he wasn't scared to lift the odd line from his favourite films and books. I remember a documentary on the band, it may even have been the South Bank Show, but they interviewed one of Morrissey's old friends who was supposedly the girl in the song. I always thought how cool it would be to have such a great song written about you! (on the other hand imagine if you're the subject of a real stinker)


The smiths were always pigeon holed by some of my friends as depressing. I just thought they were full of humour and in this tune they're almost "feel good"


My monday moment is right at the beginning where Johnny Marr's jangly guitar weaves itself around the often overlooked bass playing of Andy Rourke


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and let me know what you are listening to.