Friday, 15 April 2011

What could Have Been - The Blue Nile





A couple of days ago I wrote about Nileism the biography of the Blue Nile. I had hoped of details of lost lps just waiting to be released. Alas no although there is a rumour mentioned of a burning of the tapes of abandoned songs.





However, the author does talk about some out-takes from the first 2 lps. In a weird bit of synchronicity I stumbled on a blog that had posted these very tracks. How they had got them I've no idea but a massive thank you to Big Plans For Everybody






The first is an outtake from Walk Across the Rooftops and whilst immediately recognisable as Blue Nile the use of the prominent piano does show how it didn't fit with the rest of the lp











The next 3 are outtakes from around the time of recording Hats. Broadway in the Snow especially I think would have fitted in just fine, Christmas maybe and Young Club perhaps a bit too close to Headlights in feel and sounds more of a bridge between the first and second lps so would have jarred

















Here's hoping that if a 5th lp is out of the question then at least let there be a Buchanan solo lp ( the book does mention a recording of a 17 song suite for piano and vocal so maybe in the next 10 years this may get released, you can only hope.)

4 comments:

  1. reading the book led me to find these ' lost ' tracks too , i do hope
    paul buchanan does a solo lp , there's so much love out there for him and the band .

    at the moment , i'm listening to ' tears are not enough ' the original version and i'm really enjoying ' i wont let go ' by monarchy and a bit of miles kane every now and again .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jay

    The songs with piano that is mentioned in the book would be really good so hope it sees the light of day

    I'll check out Monarchy - not heard of them before

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely some beautiful musical moments! Thanks for sharing!!! "Rooftops" is on of those albums that I took a chance on, knowing nothing about The Blue Nile and never having heard a thing by them. When my record shop owner saw, I think, a Japan album in my hands he pulled "Rooftops" out and told me to buy it too. Some very good advice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Echo

    searching out the debut lp became a bit of a holy grail for me - eventually got a copy on a school trip to london

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and let me know what you are listening to.