Thursday, 12 May 2011

Reissue Heaven - Red Box



After years of silence the last 6 months has been a hive of activity for Red Box. Firstly after a 20 year gap a 3rd lp finally appears and then Cherry Red records has re- released the 2nd lp Motive. There are a couple of extra tracks, a different mix of the only single Train plus it's b side. The b side is the one thing I hadn't heard and it is a good track (seems a bit of an anti record company dig) but can see why it didn't fit on the original release of the lp.




On the sleeve notes Simon Toulson-Clarke describes how he used his royalties from the first lp to buy a boat on which he and his wife disappeared for the next 2 years sailing around southern Europe and as aresult the lp has a bit of a theme of travelling and movement, to end with my favourite track on the lp New England and a sense of returning home




There is still an element of the various chanting and almost nursery rhyme structure that typified the first lp , but it all feels a lot lusher , helped by the extended instrumental fade outs on a number of tracks, and more serious, and a tad darker.





In house and health
Make a little bit, break a little bit
In skint and wealth
Weep a little bit, keep a little bit
In book and pen
Up another rung, down another rung
And now and then you fall
And I break to you the news
It's as bad as it seems
And so they kick and punch and scratch
And I shrink a little bit
They spread the net to catch
But I know

But that England is my home
But my heart is forever travelling
Yes that England is my home
But my heart is forever travelling
Proud that England is my home
But my heart is forever travelling

In North and South
Give a little bit, take a little bit
In keeping out
Change a little law, hate a little more
In sight and sound
Fight another war, close another door
In private ground you live
And I break to you the news
It's as bad as it seems

And if you raise your voice to shout
And I have a little bit
It's time that you got out
But no I have no doubt

But that England is my home
But my heart is forever travelling
Yes that England is my home
But my heart is forever travelling
Proud that England is my home
But my heart is forever travelling

And I break the news to you
It's as bad as it seems

So they kick, punch, scratch
Shrink a little bit
They spread the net to catch
But I know

But that England is my home
But my heart is forever travelling
Yes that England is my home
But my heart is forever travelling
Proud that England is my home
But my heart is forever travelling








You can buy Motive here and if you like polished pop that has a sense of unpredictability then I'd recommend you give it a go

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and let me know what you are listening to.