Wednesday, 24 August 2011

The under appreciated trio part 1


A bit of a 3 part mini theme form Athen's finest. The 3 lps I'm going to focus on are the ones referenced whenever a new lp is now released and it is hailed as a "return to form".

I think the 3 lps concerned are under rated on the basis of simply not being Automatic for the People or Murmer. They manage to combine some classic REM singles, some brave experiments, sing alongs and songs of quiet emotion, and whilst there are some misses there are also some of the best songs of their career.

Up was the first lp to be released as a trio and the band took the opportunity to produce I think their most experimental set songs. I'm not sure what the record company reaction was to hearing buzzing synth , drum machine and whispered vocals of lead off track Airport Man but I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't busily looking at the small print of the contract they had signed with the band. I'm sure they fell on the only possible single Daysleeper with a sense of relief and hope that the band had got it out of their system and the mandolin would be back soon

Apparently the band came very close to breaking up in this period and some of that tension feeds through to the songs

Airportman - REM

Daysleeper - REM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and let me know what you are listening to.