Saturday, 17 September 2011

Wonders of the Internet - The Hit parade



I've written about the strange pop world of the Hit Parade before here. I had most of their music but was missing 2 lps Light Music and The Sound of the Hit Parade.

The band seemed to have purposely picked their name so that threw google searches into disarray or land on 1000s of dodgy compilations.

The Sound of was released on Sarah records in 1994 and like all things Sarah was impossible to get hold of and when it did appear on ebay would go for silly money

Thanks to a comment on one of my posts here I finally managed to track down The Sound of the Hit Parade. (well track down is a bit of an exaggeration as all I did was follow the link)

Looking at their website, the Hit Parade's sleeve notes for the Sound of....are as quirky as ever

This new CD is entitled 'The Sound Of The Hit Parade' and is inspired by going on holiday, watching black and white films and owning old books by dead people. Quite unusually for a modern beat outfit, The Hit Parade aren't very good musicians, they have no career plan and don't have a clue about what will happen next.

The music is pure pop and the lyrics , although not quite as obsessed with an ex girlfriend as the first lp still have a sense of something lost and stay just the right side of whimsical. I've posted the first track which is as bright and shiny as pop music should be

On the Road to Beaconsfield - The Hit Parade

All but their latest releases are sold out, although with a recent lp and a couple of one off singles which you can buy from the website here, the band seem to be well into their second lease of life

A big thank you to Tinsel Heart for the link

4 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to hearing this , will it match up to my favorite - Sue ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi jay


    not quite - the lp is good but the debut is genius!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks - I've never heard of them before, but I do like that track. Will investigate further.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rol

    they are often difficult to find - if you have any trouble drop me an email and I'll send you some links

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and let me know what you are listening to.