Monday, 7 November 2011

Misery Monday part 2 - Raining in Baltimore





This came out at a time when I really wasnt that interested in American Music , could never get my head around grunge and all that loud bit queit bit loud bit stuff

Also this was the kind of "mature" and "adult" music that should have had me running for the hills. However somethign in this lp struck a chord. Im not sure what , if you break it down the vocals are whiney, the music plods along and doesnt do anything special or memorable. However, together it all fits perfectly. Never better on this track of despair for missing love, which has me doin gmy best load american wail as I sing along in the car

This circus is falling down on its knees
The big top is crumbling down
It's raining in Baltimore fifty miles east
Where you should be, no one's around

I need a phone call
I need a raincoat
I need a big love
I need a phone call

These train conversations are passing me by
And I don't have nothing to say
You get what you pay for
But I just had no intention of living this way

I need a phone call
I need a plane ride
I need a sunburn
I need a raincoat

And I get no answers
And I don't get no change

It's raining in Baltimore, baby
But everything else is the same

There's things I remember and things I forget
I miss you
I guess that I should
Three thousand five hundred miles away
But what would you change if you could?

I need a phone call
Maybe I should buy a new car
I can always hear a freight train
If I listen real hard
And I wish it was a small world
Because I'm lonely for the big towns
I'd like to hear a little guitar
I think it's time to put the top down

I need a phone call
I need a raincoat


Raining in Baltimore - Counting Crows

3 comments:

  1. Great album that they nearly matched with 'Hard Candy'.
    I agree that this one has a great melancholic atmosphere which makes me love it the best; the last album was indeed a wingefest...
    I like their quieter songs; saw the band at Hammersmith a couple of years back with a friend who'd driven 300 miles to see the gig. He likes the quiet ones too. Sat behind 2 ladies of bohemia who paraded and swished their hair during the rockers and talked incessantly during the ballads. When we (and others) politely asked them to shut it they just got louder... had a similar experience at a Ray La Montagne gig. Got myself into trouble. Does this mean I'm getting old?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree their quiet songs are the best. When the try to rock out it just comes across as meerican guitar music by numbers.

    Talking at gigs up there with needlessly holding your phone aloft

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you and I should co-write a book on gig etiquette...
    I once had a bloke pee down the back of my leg at a Stranglers gig...
    Appropriate behaviour?

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and let me know what you are listening to.