Saturday, 26 November 2011

strange covers - Romeo and Juliet



This could have been its own misery monday post. The sad tale of an ex girlfriend moving on to bigger and better things. I think I've read based on a relationship that Mark Knopfler had with an aspiring actress.

Dire Straits were one of those band that I could take or leave until Brothers in Arms which seemed to be everywhere at which point they became a bit of a symbol for everything I didn't like in music and don't get me started on Twisting by the Pool.

 However I always loved this song and the lines

You promised me everything
You promised me thick and thin
Now you just say oh yeah Romeo I used to have a scene with him


get me every time

As you get older you don't quite have the taste blindness of youth and I now think Mark Knopfler wrote some great songs. This is still the best and I still can't stand Twisting by the Pool or Stings demand for mtv

This is a live version by the Killers which sticks closely to the original although the difference in the world weariness of the two vocals is why I think the song must have been at least partly autobiographical

Romeo and Juliet - The Killers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and let me know what you are listening to.