Thursday, 29 December 2011

A Year in Film - Best of 2011


This is an even more misleading title than the best of books as I now only really ever see films on dvd or Sky so it is a mix of 2010/11 ie my favourite films I've seen this year. i warn you now as i get older I seem to be getting more populist in my film taste (I blame too many art house films in my 20s). So if you are a fan of Terence Malik then I'd probably look away now!

Here are mine so what are yours?



10 - Somewhere

yes I know nothing happens and who wants to know about the tribulations of privileged films stars, but it is strangely hypnotic


9 - Bridesmaids

Despite the fact i spent the first 20 mins thinking one of the characters was Ricky Gervais in drag, I wasn't too distracted not to spend alot of the time laughing out loud. It is crude and coarse but it has a heart



8 - This Town

Ben Aflecks second feature as director and  he balances some power house performances with the subtlest of touches



7 - The Secret in Their Eyes

Probably has lots of analogies with Argentina's political history, but i enjoyed it as a straight murder mystery / love story. See it now before the usual awful remake



6 - True Grit

Good enough to finally be able to forgive them for having to sit through the Lady killers



5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

Told you I was populist. Amongst the noise and the bangs it is worth it for Alan Rickman's performance as Snape alone



4 - The King's Speech

Populist and predictable. 3 actors at the top of their game

3 - Winter's Bone

Has the US ever seemed such a foreign country as the Us in this film. The central performance is outstandingly good



2 - Animal Kingdom

Plays out like an Australian Scorsese


1 - Social Network

Somehow made geeks , computers and rich kids compelling viewing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and let me know what you are listening to.