Monday, 9 January 2012

Misery Monday - Billy Bragg



Misery Monday and this week is a bit of a repeat. It's a track that featured on about my 4th post when I think I only had a couple of readers (and one of those was probably looking for organ recitals). It fits the bill because I can never hear it without getting something stuck in my eye.

a simple tribute by Billy Bragg to his father who died when he was young. The imagery is so powerful for its simplicity while a repeated piano refrain pulls both the song along and the emotional chords

It is always at the same part when if I'm singing along in the car my voice gets a tad croaky.

I offer up to you this tribute
I offer up to you this tank park salute

I guess it just tunes into a generation thing. I gets me thinking about my own dad and my son and how we will all cope with the inevitable. It comes from the third lp of for me Billy Bragg's purple patch of  Talking to the Taxman, Workers Playtime and Don't Try This at Home.

For all the politics these 3 lps have some of the best falling in and out of love and relationships songs going

Tank Park Salute - Billy Bragg

Kiss me goodnight and say my prayers
Leave the light on at the top of the stairs
Tell me the names of the stars up in the sky
A tree taps on the window pane
That feeling smothers me again
Daddy is it true that we all have to die

At the top of the stairs
Is darkness

I closed my eyes and when I looked
Your name was in the memorial book
And what had become of all the things we planned
I accepted the commiserations
Of all your friends and your relations
But there's some things I still don't understand

You were so tall
How could you fall?

Some photographs of a summer's day
A little boys lifetime away
Is all I've left of everything we've done
Like a pale moon in a sunny sky
Death gazes down as I pass by
To remind me that I'm but my father's son

I offer up to you
This tribute
I offer up to you
This tank park salute

1 comment:

  1. A while ago, I had the "does everyone have to die?" question from my 8 year old which I will admit I was not ready for, truth be told I don't know if I ever will ever be ready for that discussion. I'm sorry to say I kind of fobbed him off with a not very satisfactory answer.

    Instinctively that evening I made the effort and dug out the vinyl boxset, I thought that it warranted the effort of paying the record, of Don't Try This At Home played this and quietly wept into my Guinness.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and let me know what you are listening to.