Monday, 20 February 2012

Misery Monday - The Smiths


At some point Misery Monday had to feature a track by the Smiths. If you liked the Smiths when they were around it is a fair bet that you had to put up with the "but they are just so depressing" comments from less enlightened friends.

I gave up early on trying to point out that the humour in Morrissey's lyrics and the lightness of Marr's melodies meant they could never be just misery merchants.

That's not to say they didn't do some of the saddest songs going. I could have gone for Please Please... or Suffer Little Children, but my favourite is a song that just has a weight of loneliness and defeat on its shoulders

Starting with what sounds like the howling wind a simple piano underpins a lullaby of despair, matched with Morrissey's understated vocal


Asleep - The Smiths

4 comments:

  1. I'm ashamed to say that when the Smiths WERE around, I was one of those "but they're so depressing" idiots. I've been doing penance on that ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard this before...
    I don't think there's a shred of the Mozz irony here - it appears to be a forlorn suicide note from someone drowning in a sea of depression... unpretentious, heart-breaking and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tim

    totaly agree it is irony free . It is form the Louder tehan bombs compilation of b sides and odd non lp singles. Has some of their best stuff on

    Hi Rol - thats 12 hail joy divisions as penance

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always loved their quirky early compilation 'Hatful of Hollow' (great title).
    I haven't heard it in years but I hope that 'Ring Around the Fountain' still sounds as (ironically) beautiful now as it did in my Headingley bedsit...

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and let me know what you are listening to.