Monday, 5 March 2012

Misery Monday - The Gobetweens


I tend to go with the sweet melodies of Grant more than the saltiness of Robert although it is the mixture of the two that made teh Gobetweens so good (when you listen to either of their solo lps I couldnt  help but put the best 6 tracks from each and imagine a gobetweens classic.)

Having said that two of my favourites comes from the end of their high water mark 16 lovers lane ( those Ls again) Apparently at the time the band was going through its own Fleetwood Mac moment and these are two end of love belters with Robert Forster's voice at its world weary best

6 comments:

  1. It would probably be cooler to cite 'Liberty Belle' or another of those early crackers but I'm abashed to say that this is my favourite GBs album (by a country mile); it's probably their most commercial too; the bitter/sweet combo at it's peak; I have a soft spot for 'Quiet Heart'...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is my fav as well not a duff track on it. i think the trio of this one liberty and tallulah are as good a 3some as anyone has produced

    ReplyDelete
  3. pick a fave GoBetweens album? That's unpossible! Love em all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi rf

    it is tricky and i change my mind with the weather but in a save form fire scenario 16 ll is what I'd reach for first!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Easy one... 16 LL. Classy production, John Willsteed (who hated the band!) adds sweet guitar-playing, especially on "Streets". And I even like a couple of Robert's tunes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tim ! go back to Liberty Belle not as consistent as 16ll but chock full of great Rf tunes

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and let me know what you are listening to.