Friday, 20 April 2012

Life of Live - The Fleadh


For the second year running I went to the Finsbury Park Fleadh. A small Irish centred festival with one main stage and a tented second one. It had a laid back feel and an almost family feel with a line up that had moved more and more away form it's Irish roots (although the Corrs were headlining this year).

I had no great desire to see the beautiful people but when they were on the main stage Billy Bragg was in the tent. I remember it being a scorcher of a day and the heat hadn't really died down with the sun. The tent was packed. Add in the fact that he played a blistering set and it was the best weight loss programme you could go on. Replacing sweat with beer meant the following day was a complete write off.

Earlier in the day we had seen the Fergal less Undertones who I was determined not to like but they were great. Prefab Sprout played a shortened version of the set I seen a few weeks ago with both beard and voice in fine flow.

You may have seen this before on hissyfit but I'm still in shock there is such good footage

   

Also on an afternoon slot was Kirsty MacColl who had just released her south american flavoured lp and was touring for the first time in ages. This is from Later and gives you a flavour 




The Fleadh was exactly my type of festival and I was really excited when it returned last year. My heart sank when I saw the line up with Bob Dylan as the headline so I gave it a miss. Hopefully 2012 will see a return

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great venue... Never tire of the Sprout footage. Can you see your face in the crowd?
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been desperately looking but no luck yet!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and let me know what you are listening to.