Wednesday, 11 April 2012

Life of Live - Prefab Sprout



This Life of Live was kind of beaten to the punch by Hissy Fit a few weeks ago. At the time Prefab Sprout had entered a Blue Nilesque period of hibernation. With a comforting degree of stubbornness Paddy Macloon chose a period in between records and a time when Wendy Smith was about to have a baby to announce out of the blue a new tour.

I can still remember the moment when he wondered on stage sporting the big shades and zz top beard you could hear the gasp of all us earnest no longer so young men taking a collective breath and thinking  "Christ he's turned into Neil Young"

We neednt have worried because as soon as he opened his mouth the familiar angelic smoothest of voices kick started Looking For Atlantis (okay so maybe I'm over romanticising just a tad!)

It was a great concert with every song a highlight - Golden Calf freed of its clunkiness , Lions in My Own Garden freed of its tweeness and Faron Young free of its studio trickery. The slower songs had us swooning the faster ones dancing and all of them had us singing (okay I'm definitely over romanticising now)

Hissy Fit has already found a treasure trove of live clips you can find here but below is way back when and one of those weird videos that the Tube would make for new bands


12 comments:

  1. Over romanticizing Prefab Sprout is exactly the right thing to do! They made music that gets richer with age and has no boundaries of generations.
    I could go on and on, but it's preaching to the converted. Let's just revel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! Well said Mr Echo... When you listen back to this early stuff, you realize just how bold, ground-breaking and eccentric the music was. Timeless...
    Who else would dare to string together " ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba bah" and make it sound fresh and brilliant?

    Toronto Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. "There is no Chicago urban blues more heartfelt than my lament for you... don't call me possessive but... God, if he's smooching with you..."
    So many great lines in this wonderful some. Never was 'quirky' quite so singable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still go back and play Swoon a lot - i thik because the strange rhythms and unusual rhymes and beacuase I think ambition outstripped budget it still sounds timeless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly agree! Swoon is magical!!

      Delete
  5. This brings back memories of one of the best weekends of my life.After hearing Paddy was about to go on a British tour in 2000,I wasn't going to miss him play live, after all he might wait another 10 years before he toured again,as it turned out 10 years was been optimistic!
    Anyway, the gig and flights were booked and I finally saw the Sprouts live and as you say ,his appearance was somewhat shocking but his voice was in fine fettle.
    Phil
    Tel Aviv

    ReplyDelete
  6. where did you see him phil - we may well have been at the same gig!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw him at Londons Shepherds Bush,I remember they did 2 nights there,and checking now my ticket stub ( yes,I'm that sad!),I see it was 12 April,12 years ago to the day!
    Phil
    Tel Aviv

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was there too. Was it you who p*ssed on my shoes?

    ReplyDelete
  9. that was the one i was at , small world and all of that

    I must admit to missing a few songs as I was eyes down , hunting for suitable footwear to urinate into

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bugger; they were 'Church's' best brogues; the only decent present my dad's ever brought me...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been digitising a collection of concert minidiscs from the 2000 tour (almost all the concerts). Get in touch via the details on psgigs.wikispaces.com if you're interested in hearing any, very happy to pass them on. Also interested in alternative recordings if anyone has any, that goes for any Sprout concert recordings.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and let me know what you are listening to.