Thursday, 5 July 2012

This month I have mostly been buying Admiral Fallow


I've been really looking forward to this as Admiral Fallow released my lp of the year last year in Boots Met My Face. They are a little bit pop , a little bit folk , a little bit Elbow, a very little bit Deacon Blue.

The folkiness has been tuned down a bit for the 2nd lp Tree Bursts in Snow, but there is a real confidence in the sound and the song writing , no tricky 2nd lp syndrome here. The lp gets off to a flyer with an opening 5 songs as good as anyones. In old money side 2 runs out of steam a bit but I suspect these later songs are the growers that will stand the test of time.

A great follow up to a great debut - you can get Tree Bursts in Snow here

6 comments:

  1. Lovely album... drove around Corsica to it a few weeks back.
    2nd side is a grower; 'Oscar' a beauty...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Their debut was one of my top albums of last year and this follow up will be up there in my year end charts aswell.
    Phil
    Tel Aviv

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the Heart Strings rave Phil...

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favourites of the year so far. I sometime listen to radio Scotland week nights at 6:10pm they have a theme based request show (very addictive) they play a lot of Admiral Fallow and a huge eclectic mix of stuff.
    I recently heard this band....
    http://www.vigothieves.com/
    A MUST listen, they have a downloadable EP, which is definitely my favourite of the year. They were also at T in the Park festival on the BBC introducing tent.
    I cannot praise them highly enough.
    Have a listen and post what you thought, please.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also watched this live on BBC Alba. Probably available for the next six days.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01kntjy/Hebridean_Celtic_Festival_2012_2012/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tip David

    Really like this - a big epic sound - remins me of alot of bands i used to listen to

    The radio scotland show seems just my kind of thing

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and let me know what you are listening to.