Wednesday, 23 January 2013

Desert Island Discs 62 The Wrong People by Furniture



62 The Wrong People by Furniture 1986


Up there with Shack for the unluckiest band in the world award. Furniture's the Wrong People was filled up with just the right amount of angst for someone leaving home for the first time

Shamefully ,along with Its Immaterial, forever pigeon holed as one hit wonders, but what a hit. Not really sounding like anything else at of the time , its slightly off kilter lyric with a backing that would grace an Elbow lp


By the follow up a re recorded version of an earlier single the video had got slicker but their luck was in free fall , with it making radio 1s playlist Stiff records couldn't produce anywhere near enough to match demand and so the catchier song and quirkier lyric was destined to flop




Another single Miss You had Janice Long crying live on air (I may well have made this up as I cant find any record of this as a single let alone the crying - however it is a cracking sad song) but their chance had come and gone.

The lp benefits from a both songwriters taking vocal duties and a band willing to take risks with the arrangements and take them to places that not a lot of other bands I liked at the time were willing to go

The centrepiece is the track She Gets out the Scrapbook that crams as much drama into one song as most bands generate in a back catalogue.

This came out in a weird time in between a levels and poly when I moved to Worcester to work on a volunteer project. Working 48 hours on and 48 off I and a co volunteer looked after Ray who had tried to commit suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning. The volunteer system allowed Ray to continue to live in his home. The volunteers home was a flat opposite the sauce factory and next to a night shelter where we also used to help out every now and then.

Their was a feeling that having had to retake my a levels and now stuck out in worcester all my friends lives were now passing me by and the sentiments in the song struck a chord. I didn't realise at the time just how much growing up I was having to do in that 6 months

She Gets Out the Scrapbook - Furniture

you can buy a re released version of the Wrong People here

9 comments:

  1. Ah yes, the 7 minute extended version of Brilliant Mind essential on every good 80's mix-tape. Oddly, I never picked up the albums. The other tunes pale a a little in comparison to that "brilliant" single, but worth more study...

    #62 - ROSIE THOMAS - These Friends Of Mine (2007)

    - I have an alarmingly low ratio of the fairer sex on my list; I hope I'm not sexist? But here's one that I love, however I reckon others might want to pass by. If ever the tags sensitive, melancholy, confessional, introspective female singer/songwriter applied, Rosie fits the bill. She also has a bizarre schizophrenic alter-ego (read her bio sometime), and watching her live is um, unusual. I've followed her since finding her touching song Wedding Day on an Uncut sampler, and love her refreshing heart-on-sleeve honesty and charming melodies.
    Unlike earlier more lush releases, TFOM is a ramshackle affair, recorded in a small Brooklyn apartment shared with pals Sufjan Stevens & Denison Witmer. And although it's credited to Thomas, this could almost be Stevens' New York entry in his "states" series. Sufjan produces and is all over the record. It's short and all the songs are great, but Much Farther To Go is the album's highlight for me, written as a wistful ode to New York, heartbreak and longing; set to a devastatingly pretty melody with Stevens and Witmer contributing gorgeous harmony vocals. Ugh, I'm gushing, but cuckoo as she is, I love Rosie...

    Much Farther To Go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IANCl15pVhc
    Kite Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU80Jn-ko2c
    All The Way To New York City: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yG0Ya452vI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great choice TT. A mate of mine saw her at the Borderline; said she was hilarious; a comic apparently.
      Furniture quite an apt band name: So much forgotten quality just standing there waiting to be admired...

      Delete
  2. Ah, one of my favourite albums, thanks for featuring. I wrote about She Gets Out The Scrapbook as part of my Clandestine Classics series a while back - that's here if you're interested: http://pip.host22.com/blog/201111.shtml#3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this album. I only bought it a couple of years after it's release after seeing them on 'Jukebox Jury' with their then new single ' Slow motion kisses', that I liked so much I went out the next day and bought. Since the album that it was lifted from , 'Food Sex and Paranoia' was still unreleased at that time I hunted down a second hand copy of 'The Wrong People' and am I glad that I did! Side A is especially strong. I caught them live on the 'Food Sex and Paranoia' tour and it's one of my favourite gigs. They should have been huge.
    # 62 and a trip back to the 70's Iggy Pop - The Idiot. Talking of great gigs , I saw Iggy back in 78 and his stage antics were something else! As a wide eyed 16 year old and only my second ever gig he really left an impression.
    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tim thanks for teh links to Rt - really liked it

    Hi trev "So much forgotten quality just standing there waiting to be admired..." I take it you dont shop at ikea?

    Hi Martin - yes i am interested .. i neded up going back through your blog to read all the other calndestine classics ... great stuff

    Hi phil - seeing iggy in his prime ... i'm very jealous

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah - so you're the spike in my web stats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes that must of been me - it made a great diversion as I sat at work waiting for the adminstrators axe to fall!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the comments Lorraine - there are a few that looking back I'm scratching my head as to why I put them where I did , although only one or two I would kick into touch. This woul
    d have been higher if I'd thought more carefully about it. I also thought I was the only one to hear let alone get Del Amitri's. debut Agree re Justin Currie his 2 solo lps are fantastic.

    I'm going to see the Waterboys - but having already got the 2 disc version of Fb plus the lp Closer to heaven I am wondering what else he has to release!!

    hope you stuck with it to 125!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and let me know what you are listening to.