Friday, 11 January 2013

Desert Island Discs 68 The Stone Roses by the Stone Roses


68 The Stone Roses by The Stone Roses

Every now and then music needs a bit of a kick up the arse and a 2 finger salute to what has come before and has there ever been a better one than

Kiss me where the sun don't shine
The past is yours but the future's mine




Sure everything is a rip off right from the Pollock lite cover, however isn't all good music a bit of a rip off of something else?

When at poly one of the girls in our house had an older brother Ian who used to come and stay quite a bit, I think partly because he had a soft spot for one of the other girls who didn't drink alcohol but liked a tipple of vintage sarcens vinegar but that's another story.

We used to swap tapes and on one visit he gave me one I'd asked him to do of the Woodentops and he mentioned that he'd put something on the other side that was the best debut lp since the Bunnymen's crocodiles.

Is there anything better than sitting down in your room to listen to something for the first time , with no idea what to expect and simply being blown away?

Before their sound became baggy , before the endless wait for the bloated follow up (never have I been so disappointed by a second lp) , before they spawned a 100 awful madchester bands, they were the most exciting band on the planet.

A rush of sixties guitars a confident swagger , the multi tracked vocals to try and get them in some of tune and most of all at its heart a set of great sing along songs

Here is their own Bill Grundy moment



The focus was often on Ian Brown's dodgy vocals (who needs pitch perfect anyway!) but great showman ship and Jon Squire's guitar playing , but what a rhythm section!

I am the Resurrection - The Stone Roses

After all this time I still get a rush when I play this lp

14 comments:

  1. It must be partly my contrary streak but they have never moved me, despite attempts by others initially to get me to recognise their genius and then my own attempts to get it. However, I keep thinking o.k. it's The Bunnymen doing Paint it Black or isn't that quite a dollop of Big Country for a band supposed to be cool etc etc. I know you acknowledge this but the problem for me is they never impose their own personality on me - it all sounds like cheery psecond-hand pself-regarding psychedelia to these ears.
    I know I'm wrong. Everybody tells me so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Seamus on this one. I never quite bought into the swaggering Madchester psychedelic/hippie/rave scene. Inspiral Carpets, Happy Mondays, Charlatans, Stone Roses all kinda sounded the same to me and I just felt no emotional connection. Stone Roses debut the best of that lot though; Waterfall & Elephant Stone good songs... That being said, weren't James & New Order part that gang too? Love them!

    #68 - GUS BLACK - Autumn Days (2006)

    - another in my series of eclectic/eccentric/erratic singer/songwriters... He veers wildly in styles on other releases; this is his most earthy record. I had a hard time choosing between this one and the glossy pop/beat-oriented Word Of Mouth Parade which is great too. Couldn't find even one audio clip for that one, so I'm going with this...

    Fire Escape: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzrmtAq7geQ
    Traffic & Sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_YMdHQBkU0
    Shatter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9jZoq2fWzk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is often how and when we hear bands that matter just as much as what we hear. I really think i would be with you both if I hadnt heard the record before i knew anything about them and before there was any fuss. It all changed with the follow up Fools Gold that spawned more than its fair share of monsters.

    Because of that I was in no rush to head off to Heaton Park. This lp is one of those stand alone moments in time things for me

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apologies David, I think that I must have been a premature curmudgeon; I despised The Stone Roses and their simian swagger, the slack jawed obnoxiousness grated almost as much as Oasis's...
    Sorry, couldn't get beyond that to give the music a fair crack; it's all part and parcel I guess. This too at a time when my most coveted object of desire was a Rickenbacker...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I'm on my own with this one then!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and a million others David.
    Music is such a polarizing thing; you're spot on about the importance of the first listen...
    Stone Roses just struck me as a bit gormless at a time when I was looking for 'a bit artful'...

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, no. I think this is a very important album. To some degree it spawned a music genre, baggy, madchester etc. From there, britpop came along and spawned a lot of good groups. Don't get me wrong, there were a lot of bad ones too. But overall it was a time to be exited by music. Fast forward to the naughties. Not much to get excited by. There hasn't been a music genre since britpop, shoegaze etc since the 90's. It's long over due. Thumbs up to the monkey man!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Although I think this is probably a very important album it does nothing for me. It came along 10 years too late. If I'd been in my late teens early 20's then maybe I'd think differently.
    # 68 and one of the highlights of 2010, The Villagers - becoming a jackel.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg0UsO5SFb8
    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Phil

    I think you are spot on re timing - i was 21 and in my final year at poly so hit me at my sweet spot!
    Lookinbg ofrward to the new Villagers one out soon

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rachel Worth, re: 21, hitting sweet spot and at Poly; you're not really a Sheffield nurse named Nora are you?
    If so; that was my finest hour...

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL :-) Trevor! I understand the bi polar effect The Stone Roses have on people. I only started listening to them after the brouhaha died down in the early 2000's. 2 albums one classic (1st one). great defining sounds, at least from the first recording.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and let me know what you are listening to.