Monday, 29 April 2013
Desert Island Discs 13 Alaska by Miracle Mile
13 Alaska by Miracle Mile 2003
This was a tough one . I've got a real soft spot for the pre Marcus Bicycle Thieves as it is the discovery bit (bought on impulse after a review in Q) and Candids as it was never off the car stereo as my future wife and I drove around California , also I've always been a sucker for songs about famous people.
When I did the list I originally chose Limbo (Lights of Home one of the best things Trev and Marcus have done) , however last night I made the mistake of playing Alaska and it has gone and sneaked in the back door, so I've had to post this before I play another one and have to do a rewrite..
The cover has you peering between leaves in on someone's private memories which is what listening to the lp is like. It always gives me a sense of looking back , a mood that tunes into my own memories so that the words start to evoke specific times , places and details , piggy backing on Trevor Jones's original intentions.
The instrumentation is smooth without ever being bland, ranging for the stark piano or guitar to the layered ,where each new listen brings a discovery or a new/forgotten delight.
Seventeen songs and the quality never dips. Ones that I was less keen on initially grow to be firm favourites where initial go to tunes become old friends
anyway here are my five favourites moments
1) the chorus and the fade out of Alaska a one scene story - "a simple truth or a telling lie"
2) the backing vocals to Wilful like being wrapped in a duvet , and another great fade out
3) the guitar playing on the intro to weather wise before it kicks into a completely different direction (with another killer chorus)
4) The slightly skitterish backing beat to Malkovich and the slight pause before "high hopes come crashing down"
5) Not my memory or my history but a sadness and celebration to be shared on the so personal it is almost painful Sister Song
Anyway you can buy the lp direct from Miracle Mile's website here and I'd recommend also investing in a bottle of malt to accompany. In fact whilst you are there I'd buy the lot
Here are a couple of tracks that I've mentioned
Weatherwise - Miracle Mile
Sister Song - Miracle Mile
On a related note the new lp In Cassidy's Care is now out (you can also get it from the website and early listens suggest that over time it will also be battling it out for a place on the list